3. Doctor Butcher M.D.
  • Author

Mike Everleth
    Keymaster

Doctor Butcher M.D.

Available on Amazon

Directed by Marino Girolami

aka Zombie Holocaust, Zombi Holocaust

Doctor Butcher M.D. is — unironically — one of my favorite movies of all time. And my real pain is going through life knowing this is not generally recognized, nor as appreciated as it is by me.

It is a nearly perfect film. Ah, screw it, I’ll say it is a perfect film. Everything about it, every single scene is ridiculously entertaining. There’s not one boring moment in it. The gore, the music, the ludicrous plot is just perfect. (Ok, the once scene where the corpse dummy’s arm flies off then is seen re-attached to the body in the subsequent scene is the only “flaw” I can think of.)

Based on the original Italian titles, I have to think the filmmakers were trying to cross-breed Lucio Fulci’s Zombie and Ruggero Deodato’s Cannibal Holocaust. While I’ve never watched Cannibal Holocaust, I think Doctor Butcher M.D. is a better film than Zombie. Yes, I said it. Doctor Butcher is much more fast paced. The combination of having an island full of cannibals being transformed into zombies keeps things moving along very nicely, where Zombie gets bogged down too much until the relentless ending. (Ian McCulloch stars in both movies.)

As far as I can tell, Girolami didn’t make too many flat-out horror movies in his career, which probably accounts a lot for the freshness and lightness of this film.

WARNING: The trailer itself is pretty graphic

Donald O'Brien as Doctor Butcher M.D.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.